At first, we need to defind what kind of data base we are going to deploy, there are tree options:
- Microsoft SQL Server Database
- Oracle Database
- PostgreSQL Database
In this case, we are going to deploy Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Standard SP1 Database. For Microsoft SQL Server Database these are the minimum prerequisites:
- RAM: 16 GB
- CPU: 4 CPUs
- Disk: 100GB
Before you choose the Microsoft SQL Server Database version validate VMware Product Interoperability Matrices.
Second, follow the next steps to deploy Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Standard SP1.
1. Select stand-alone installation.
2. Enter your product key.
3. Accept license Terms.
4. Select Database Engine Services. Here it’s important to select another partition in the operating system for the date base, in this case E:\ – 100GB.
5. Select the instance´s name.
6. Select the service accounts, in this case keep it by default.
7. Select mixed mode and add an administrator account.
Note: Windows Authentication is not supported when use SQL Server with vCloud Director.
8. Verify the SQL configuration and click install.
9. Validate every feature is succeeded.
Third, follow the next steps to deploy Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and log in with your administrator account.
1. Execute the installation file and click install.
2. Restart your PC.
3. Execute the Server Management Studio and log in with your administrator credentials.
4. You are ready to configure the data base for vCloud Director.
Fourth, follow the next steps to configure Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Standard SP1.
1. Click on New Query.
2. Create the database instance with the following script. Change the partition you deployed the Microsoft SQL Server (E\:).
USE [master] GO CREATE DATABASE [vcloud] ON PRIMARY (NAME = N'vcloud', FILENAME = N'E:\vcloud.mdf', SIZE = 100MB, FILEGROWTH = 10% ) LOG ON (NAME = N'vcdb_log', FILENAME = N'E:\vcloud.ldf', SIZE = 1MB, FILEGROWTH = 10%) COLLATE Latin1_General_CS_AS GO
3. Set the transaction isolation level.
USE [vcloud] GO ALTER DATABASE [vcloud] SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE; ALTER DATABASE [vcloud] SET ALLOW_SNAPSHOT_ISOLATION ON; ALTER DATABASE [vcloud] SET READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT ON WITH NO_WAIT; ALTER DATABASE [vcloud] SET MULTI_USER; GO
4. Create the vCloud Director database user account.
USE [vcloud] GO CREATE LOGIN [vcloud] WITH PASSWORD = 'vcloudpass', DEFAULT_DATABASE =[vcloud], DEFAULT_LANGUAGE =[us_english], CHECK_POLICY=OFF GO CREATE USER [vcloud] for LOGIN [vcloud] GO
5. Assign permissions to the vCloud Director user account.
USE [vcloud] GO sp_addrolemember [db_owner], [vcloud] GO
6. Click on Options and change the collation to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS and click Ok.
Now you are ready to deploy vCloud director cell.
Hoping you have enjoyed this post, see you next time.